Jeremy Clarkson fired, Top Gear to continue without him
After a lengthy investigation, the BBC has officially fired Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson, according to BBC News. The show will continue without him, but no word on exactly how it will return or when.
The investigation stemmed from an incident earlier this month when Clarkson and a producer got into an argument that turned physical. According to sources that witnessed the altercation, Clarkson had just finished a long day of filming and was looking for a hot meal. The hotel they were staying at had apparently stopped serving food, and Clarkson was said to simply snap at the producer.
After screaming at him and verbally berating him for 20 minutes, Clarkson then called the producer an “Irish cunt” and hit him in the face, splitting the producer’s lip and sending him to the hospital. The following Monday, Clarkson then reported the incident himself to the BBC, who immediately halted production on the two remaining episodes of the show that had yet to air.
The BBC went on to conduct a full investigation, hearing evidence from both sides as well as several witnesses. The investigation concluded that Clarkson did assault the producer, which the BBC won’t tolerate.
“For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations,” BBC’s Director-General, Lord Tony Hall said.
“This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC,” he added. “I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear.”
Despite rumors to the contrary, Top Gear will continue. Multiple sources are claiming that BBC Radio 2 host Chris Evans (not to be confused with Captain America), is being eyed to take over. Evans has since categorically denied that.
As for co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May, no word yet on what they will do. When Clarkson was suspended, both Hammond and May refused to film without him, and both presenters have their contracts up for renewal this yer.
Following the decision to fire Clarkson, Hammond tweeted “Gutted at such a sad end to an era. We’re all three of us idiots in our different ways but it’s been an incredible ride together.”
May didn’t say or write anything, but he may have made a statement in a more subtle way by changing his Twitter bio to read “Former TV presenter.”
As for Clarkson, he has plenty of options and he probably won’t be off the air for long. The BBC report even suggests that there is already a bidding war brewing over his services. One rumor is that Netflix is already considering offering him a show, although even if that it is true, it is way too early for any confirmations.